Change Management Iceberg Model

Wilfried Kruger is a leading writer and subject specialist in change management. He developed and proposed an iceberg model of change management; it focuses on outlining the dynamic process of change management. He employed the concept of the iceberg and explained the barriers and resistance to change and how you could overcome various barriers to implement changes without causing any disruption. Today, we’ll discuss the change management iceberg model; the types of people involved, and strategic approaches to the iceberg model of organizational change.

Change Management Iceberg Model

Change management iceber model recognizes that managers and leaders put limited focus on three organizational change factors; time, quality, and cost. Kruger considered the limited focus on three factors as the issue management. It is the tip of the iceberg; only 10% of the change is visible and the remaining 90% of the organizational change is below the iceberg.

Below the visible tip, there is a huge real mountain of icebergs exists. While implementing organizational change, there are multiple hidden problems and issues that managers and leaders ignore. They are the main causes of failure to implement changes in real life.

Type of People Involved in Change

The iceberg model focuses on highlighting the four types of people involved in the organizational change process. They are hiding under the water just like the large mountain of icebergs blows the iceberg. However, the four types of people in the iceberg model are as follows;

  • Promoters: type of people who are positive and optimistic about the change; they’re promoting and supporting the change project.
  • Potential Promoters: sort of people who are on board with the change project; they have the potential and capability to support and implement changes. But they aren’t thinking clearly and they are also reluctant about the change project to some extent.
  • Opponents: as the name implies; they’re the type of people who reject the notion of change and are completely against the change project; they’re the main barriers and resistant to change
  • Hidden Opponents: type of people who reject and oppose the idea of change deep inside their hearts and mind; but they don’t say it out loud publically

Strategic Approaches to Managing People

The strategic approaches to managing the four types of people are as follows;

  • Politics and Power Management
  • Belief and Perception Management

It is significant for businesses and companies to manage change; opponent team members have negative attitudes and behavior towards the change project and they could jeopardize the entire change initiative. Leaders and managers should control them with beliefs and perception management to convince and change their minds; and earn their support for the change project.

On the other hand, hidden opponents oppose the change project and have negative attitudes and behavior toward the change initiative. But they are supporting the change project superficially on the surface; you should control such types of team members with belief and perception management.

However, potential promoters are the type of people who have a positive attitude and behavior towards change. They aren’t completely 100% on board with the change initiatives, but their support means a lot to the company. Organizational leaders and managers could win their support and confidence with politics and power management.

Conclusion: Iceberg Model of Change Management | Change Management Iceberg Model

After an in-depth study of the change management iceberg model;  we have realized that the iceberg model highlights the hidden issues and problems in the change project. If you are learning about the iceberg model of organizational change management; then you should keep in mind the abovementioned definition, four types of people involved in the change initiative, and strategies for managing and organizing team members and employees.

error: Content is protected !!